Friday, August 16, 2013

Risk, Regret, and Reward

"I don't mind failing but if we succeed it better be worth succeeding. Most people reduce risk to the point where the consequences of success are inconsequential." - Vinod Khosla.


This time of life is scary for anyone.

I just graduated Brigham Young University - Idaho. I'd been told my life story would play out a certain way if I played my cards as I was told to. Like a game, the right order would result in successful consequences.

Essentially, this was the speech I received over and over and over again...

College leads to better jobs. First you'll go through K-12 with decent grades. Then you survive four years of wearing prestigious university titles and finally BAM you make at least five digits because who wouldn't want to hire someone who had survived that stress ball of a life?

Reality check.

It actually takes an average of five years. Partly because there are just some classes you can't pass up because they seem so interesting, partly because they want us to maintain an illusion of being well-rounded. After a lot of invested time, if you're so lucky as to survive the Ramen Noodle toxicity, you'll be in a massive amount of debt. 'Cus of course we can all afford to spend 30,000+ dollars in a five year span while working part time. I got lucky and had supportive relatives and a job. Others aren't so lucky.

So in summary. The cards are never the same for everyone because everyone is dealt a different set and the other players can lay down whatever they want. I have no control over that. I do have control over what I have in my hand.

This is what I have. Free internet and a witty style. I've always wanted to be a writer, but to be a "real writer" you really have to work the networking field in the publishing industry. I'm told this is often how the not so great books get published. I'm also told there's a certain amount of politics in the publishing industry and frankly, I'd rather enjoy my craft then banter with people about legalities.

I like writing for these simple reasons

A) It's been my identity since second grade. I took a break for college and it's been killing me to not have a creative break after I've been chomping at the bit for so long. It's starting to come back to me now that I'm writing this entry. I guess sometimes you just have to start writing something.

B) It's ridiculously fun. All the wonderful brain play that can happen as you orchestrate events, realizations, and secret surprises for someone else to discover. It's a kind of mental gymnastics that mathematicians simply wouldn't understand.

Here is where it begins. I love to write. As someone who loves to write, why should I be terrified of actually putting my work out there? I could play it safe and wait for decades before a publishing house decides to give me the time of day, but next to being honest I'm also apt to becoming quickly bored with begging. Sure some ninny could steal all my creative genius off this blog and make it legal but I frankly don't care. It's their soul, not mine. As long as someone reads it I don't care whose name is on it. If my stuff is good, it will survive and the truth will eventually come out, if it isn't, well the thief will look like a fool then won't he?

In fact, I think I shall post stories of such a ridiculous nature here that only someone with my brain could possibly predict how the outcome is determined. Let's be honest, too many people know too many stories for there to be completely unpredictable outcomes. Either the hero wins or he doesn't. It's HOW he gets there that's fun.

As for job hunting, I suppose that will have to sort itself out as I continue to barrage work places with graphic illustrations of my amazing talents.

This is my game. Here is my hand. This I have control over.

So boys and girls,

Shall we begin the game?

No comments:

Post a Comment