Thursday, November 7, 2013

Perspectives: Part 2: Tiny Joys

I paced my room looking down at the white carpet. Winter darkness always makes doing things harder for someone like me; I love the daylight and early morning sunshine. Even in the coldest winter, if I see the sunrise peak under the bank of clouds, I am content for the day.

I studied my manicured toe-nails nestled in the carpet before bending down and doing a few pushups. Sunshine may give me vitamin D, but push-ups could give me that quick burst of endorphins and good feelings I needed to get through this evening.

It had been a good day at the office. I had been called in to substitute for another aide which meant I was able to work a whole two hours longer this week than the usual six. It’s not much, but at least it’s something.
One of the patients had recently damaged his shoulder in a construction accident. The physical therapist was asked to, “keep him limber,” for the impending operation by the doctor. It was hard to see the man and his wife grimace in pain as I instructed his workouts, but they would do him some good in the end. He is a fighter. He kept wanting to push his limits to the point where I had to start being mean.

I did try to start out kind.

“Don’t push so hard. Go as far as the pain, flirt with it, but don’t push it. Don’t slap it in the face.”

His lip twitched and his face contorted as he raised his arms a little higher.

“Don’t push pain. Flirt with it. You don’t have to go far.”

He nodded his head and raised his arms a little higher. His teeth clicked and he groaned.

“Stop it! Go lower. You can’t go that high today. Maybe after the operation, but right now that’s as far as you go.”

He was disappointed, but he lowered his arms in relief. Some patients don’t realize they are actually hurting themselves by pushing so hard, but they are still so inspiring in their determination to succeed.

Finishing the push-ups with a gasp I sat on the carpet and picked up the recently discarded classified paper. There were still a few rentals available. Pricey,  but available. Someday, when I have a second job, I can afford to live under one of the yellow highlighted addresses I’d been reviewing. I know living with my mom when I’m my age and I have a degree isn’t exactly looked highly upon by society. People perceive this as lazy, but those people don’t know my full story. They don’t know my mom is going to charge me rent as soon as I can afford it. They don’t know how bracing it is to always have someone to hug and roommates I love. They also don’t know that I really do want to move out and get on with my life; it’s just not an affordable option right now. And rather than going broke to make a point to people who don’t actually care, I’d rather save money and be smart for now until the opportunity presents itself.

I looked up at the solitary light bulb that bravely pushed back the early darkness from my room. Better than a night light. Maybe I should string up the Christmas lights I bought while in college? It is that festive time of year.

Christmas lights and Christmas time is a wonderful annual reminder of the goodness of humanity. Each light on a tree reminds us that for every knuckle-head in the world, there are at least ten good people who shine on quietly in the darkness.

The world is black and white but people are gray. Everyone is always fighting internal struggles against loneliness and self-depreciation. When we forget to fight these wars and try to bury them in meaningless things, life gets hard. However, when we face them and do tiny little good deeds. Not necessarily for anyone, not necessarily for ourselves, but when we do small good things, those small quiet good things tend to pile up into a good life.

I admire the Hobbits of Hobbiton in J.R.R. Tolkien’s fictional works. They take such pleasure and pride in simple actions and simple instances in their lives; green things, food, friends, pipe, and beer. They cherish the good and their culture naturally shunned the bad to the point where it almost didn’t seem to exist at all. They still had nosy neighbors and storms and the occasional problems. But there was peace, and quiet, and goodness in their lives that was focused upon and celebrated. If the world were more like Hobbiton and focused less on problems and differences and blame and more on neighborliness and responsibility and kindness and respect wouldn’t the world be grand?

“Christina?”

“Hm?”

“Deep thoughts,”

“Relatively so,

“Care to share?” My sister leaned on the door frame with a smile on her face.

“I could try, but I don’t know if I can get the whole thought out before the next thought starts.”

“You’re brain is unique.”

“In a philosophical kind of way, yeah.”

She laughed and closed the door.

How can people ignore all the tiny joys that fill this world?

No comments:

Post a Comment