Friday, November 7, 2014

Finally! I've Rediscovered My Creative Well

Exciting news! It seems like two years is the time it takes for the trauma of using art for grades to subside. That and therapy in creating other stuff like YouTube videos, illustrations, and stuff. Actually, I just really, really, really, missed writing for fun. I was going through a bit of a depressed spell that was lasting too long and it wasn't until I started working on this project that I began to feel better.

Writing therapy. It's the best kind of mental exercise.

I've decided to use NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) http://nanowrimo.org/  as an excuse to start a story I've been considering for some time. I'm not officially taking part in the fun on their website for two reasons, my format isn't in novel form, [blog, hello, episodic is the only way to go] and I don't want to step back into over editing too little material because of the time constraint. I know that's not the point of NaNoWriMo, everyone knows they're doing first drafts, but I need to be careful with my new roots. We don't want to accidentally cause my vibes to go back into hibernation.

I have a good support system through a reality show of all things. The Quest was a fantasy based reality show that inspired a lot of artists and fans and we all take part in the Facebook page, The Quest Army. https://www.facebook.com/groups/thequestarmy/?ref=br_tf

It's fun to work with an encouraging bunch of artists who are as passionate about creating stuff as they are about promoting good TV. The only downside is that no one seems willing to critique anyone, but that's o.k. I guess, artists critique themselves enough. It's nice to have a platform where you know the people are nice.

I finished my story map today and I'm hoping to start the first post draft tonight.

(What? You don't know what a story map is? I guess that's because I invented it. It helps me "see" more clearly what's going on with my characters when and to see where the plot is going. The format is simple. I started with a large roll of newspaper paper and wrote the names of my principle characters along the end. Then I drew lines or columns down the page and at intervals wrote summaries of what was happening to each character, unrolling the paper as much as needed. The place on the page determined the chronological order in which events occurred between the characters. If two characters are interacting I included important individual perspectives they would have at that time. This time I used a word table and I think I liked it a little better than hand writing. I could write more in the summary, but I didn't like summarizing a scene beyond a page and I believe it would lose usefulness with more than five main characters.)

If I get inspired to write other things before this projects completion I'll put them on the back burner at least until the first arc is completed to avoid confusion.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment