Sunday, November 22, 2015

Journeys into the World of Marie Kondo

By now, I'm sure everyone has heard about the book, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing." by Marie Kondo.

On a whim, I picked it up from Barnes and Noble last week. Glad I waited as long as I did, because it was on a 30% off sale. Can we say easy $10? Like most self-help books, it's not the kind of book that is designed to be read straight through. There is an index, the advice is straight forward, and the writing is clear, but if you're looking for a quick references on how to fold a particular article of clothing, its easier to find examples on YouTube. I'd consider it more of a philosophy book that focuses on "why" than a reference guide that tells you "how."

I began a pattern of cleaning and reading then cleaning again. Each section of the book is short enough that you don't loose motivation between the pages. The philosophy was the most interesting part of the book. Eastern philosophy is full of giving respect to things that most westerners wouldn't even think of. Still, that act of giving respect, creates discipline and an environment where things last longer and relationships are deeper. The closest western equivalent to this philosophy would be living with constant appreciation and gratitude. This book supports that assumption. Marie Kondo teaches that it is better for things to be used, than to go unused. That folding clothes in respectful ways makes them last longer. That getting rid of items that aren't worn out is actually a good thing. And as all tiny livers know, less is so often much more.

So far, I've gotten rid of an astonishing three bags of donated clothing. I swear I didn't think I had many clothes to begin with, much less three bags worth of clothes that didn't inspire happiness. My closet suddenly went from not having enough hangers, to having hangers with nothing to do. I'm a little scared to tackle the bookshelf, but that's what's going to happen next. My room already looks a hundred times better.

This exercise has also got me thinking. I don't own much. I don't need much. However, would what I currently own fit into a tiny house space? If I had to suddenly make the jump into a tiny house even smaller than I dream about, would I even fit? Before Marie Kondo, I'd have to say no. At the very least, If I did suddenly have to change apartments again, I know it will be an easier move.

Food for thought, is there such a condition as chronically buying tiny stuff you think you need and then turning around three months later to donate it all? I kinda feel like that's how I live. My next goal is to live on a budget of just 55 dollars a week. At least twenty of that is going to gas and this will not include rent, so that will leave me about 35 a week for food and needs. Now that I'm posting about it, I will need to be accountable.

Happy Tiny Living Everybody

No comments:

Post a Comment